We’re in mourning here at Let’s Share A Dish… because it’s our last summer What’s Happenin’ Wednesday — excuse me while I go cry in the corner. Yes, I know there are still 22 days until fall officially starts, but let me be a little bit dramatic to close out the month.
Good bye summer, you will be missed
- Since today is the last day of August, that means pumpkin spice season is upon us! Want to start stocking up on everything basic? Refinery29’s got you covered with some of the best fall flavored snacks out there. Even though I hate pumpkin spice lattes, I’ll admit I am excited for pumpkin Noosa (yogurt) and the pumpkin spice flavored Oreos.
- Blue Bee, Richmond’s (and Virginia’s) first urban cidery is almost ready to make its move to Scott’s Addition. We cannot wait to check out the new space when it opens later this fall.
- Opening a restaurant is hard work, opening a restaurant inside a refugee camp is inspiring but also a matter of survival. Meet two women who opened restaurants inside of South Sudan’s largest refugee settlement.
- Even though I am less than thrilled that summer is over, that does mean it is time for college football! Here’s one of my favorite (easy tailgating recipes and ICYMI Virginia Tech was just named by Princeton Review as the best school for quality of life — love Hoda in this video.
- If you haven’t done a Real Richmond Food Tour, what are you waiting for?! We recently embarked on what felt like a marathon of eating at work through Real Richmond Food Tours and had a great experience. These food tours are great options for native Richmonders and tourists alike.
- I’m so jealous of the people who will be taking a culinary food tour through Italy with the folks behind Dinner in the Field. Follow the 10-day journey through Southern Italy on Instagram and be prepared to have major travel envy.
What to add to your calendar:
- If you’ve been following the devastating earthquake in Amatrice, Italy you might be wondering how you can help. Restaurants across the country are cooking the town’s famous dish, pasta all’ amatriciana, and donating proceeds to relief efforts. And what do you know, two local restaurants Deco Ristorante and Nota Bene are doing just that (Nota Bene’s proceeds also benefiting victims of the flooding in Louisiana). So go treat yourself to this delicious spicy pasta dish and you won’t have to feel guilty about eating all those carbs.
- Tomorrow night, Stock Provisions is hosting its Endless Summer Party starting at 7:30 p.m. There will be delicious meats, including a housemade spam burger and tropic thunder nachos. Saison will be helping with the grilling and The Veil will be providing delicious brews, including the recently released Raspberry Gose.
- Beer brunch is back! This Sunday, Ardent with the help of Stock Provisions will be serving up Tasso Ham biscuits and breakfast burritos. If the breakfast burritos are as good as the ham biscuits, you will not be disappointed. And for all of you bloody mary fans, Texas Beach Bloody Mary mix will be on hand to make beer bloody marys.
- Starting on September 9th (aka the worst day of the year because summer Fridays are over) Ellwood Thompson’s can help get you through the day with a special pour over bar. Every Friday local coffee roaster