This time of year is wonderful and a little crazy all at once, don’t you agree?! We promise that 2017 should have us back on a more regular blogging schedule, but until then, hopefully the latest edition of What’s Happenin’ Wednesday will do the trick!
What’s Happenin’ Wednesday
- ICYMI: The Richmond Times-Dispatch ran a rave review of East Coast Provisions last week, and we’re not surprised – we had a great experience when we visited there this summer. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – if you’re a mussels fan like I am, the mussels at East Coast Provisions are not to be missed. I could talk all day long about the broth, made even better by the crusty bread that’s available for dipping.
- A cure for what ails you: I promise I’m not willing you to get sick this winter, but if you do find yourself under the weather in the coming weeks and you’re looking for an at home fix, look no further than this recipe for bourbon cough syrup from The Kitchn.
- Richmond Magazine put together a great roundup of several restaurants around town that are making eggnog in house this holiday season. They all have their own unique twist, which means yes, you can totally go on an eggnog crawl if that’s your thing. Bonus: there’s a recipe from Pasture that you can use if you want to make your own at home.
- Planning a trip in 2017? This BuzzFeed quiz can guess where you are going to visit based on your breakfast choices. After taking it, I now want a mimosa and a vacation!
- From Richmond BizSense: The Dog Wagon is officially open for business in Gather’s co-working building located at at 2930-C W. Broad St. The space offers limited seating, though it’s mainly focused on “to go” style service.
- Thrillist put together a list of the 12 best new restaurants in America in 2016, and now my new goal is to try them all in 2017. That’s probably wishful thinking, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to make it to least one or two of these spots sometime soon. The spot on the list that’s closest to Richmond is Pineapple and Pearls in Washington, D.C., which is totally doable for a day trip or a quick overnight trip, good news for us!
- Exciting update if you’re a fan of Westhampton Pastry Shop: a second location is coming soon next to Westbury Apothecary! This is dangerously close to my new house and I have a feeling I’m going to be a frequent visitor.
What to add to your calendar
- If you’re still looking for just the right arrangement for your holiday table – or a great hostess gift – Strawberry Fields Flowers and Finds is hosting a holiday centerpiece workshop this Thursday at 6 p.m. Tickets are $75 per person and all materials are provided.
- NBC 12 put together a helpful list of holiday events around Richmond, including catching a holiday movie at The Byrd Theatre. Polar Express is playing on Christmas Eve at 10 a.m.and It’s A Wonderful Life is playing on Christmas Eve at 7:15 p.m. and on Christmas at 7:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m. Tickets go on sale about half an hour before the each show.
- If you’ve been looking for an excuse to visit Charleston and enjoy food as much as we do, save the date for the Southern Ground Music & Food Festival, taking place May 20-21, 2017. Additional details can be found here.
Whatever you are celebrating this holiday season, we hope this time of year is filled with lots of love – and lots of good food!
Speaking of good food, if you have any delicious (and easy!) holiday brunch recipes, please share them in the comments below.