What’s Happenin’ Wednesday
- Buffalo Chicken Dip has been my go to tailgate recipe since my sophomore year of college. What’s not to like about a dip that combines two of my favorite things: cheese and hot sauce. I usually follow this recipe (fun fact: I’m also weird and like my buffalo chicken dip served cold). For those who prefer to keep their dip warm while watching this weekend’s big game, here’s another great option. And speaking of the big game if you’re lucky enough to be traveling to Houston this weekend, here’s a helpful guide to help you navigate the bar and restaurant scene.
- Does anyone out there use an Instant Pot? I’ve been seeing a few posts lately on my Facebook feed lately, and even NPR is talking about this kitchen appliance that seems to be able to do it all. I love a good slow cooker meal, so if you have an Instant Pot and love it or hate it, let me know in the comments! (UPDATE: The New York Times is also investigating this cooking trend!).
- The January issue of Richmond Magazine is all about PIZZA! And while I love picking up a pie from 8 1/2, nothing makes me feel more accomplished than making a delicious pizza at home. Hey, if I can do it, you can do it. Here’s a cheat sheet to making your at home pizza making life easier, my personal favorite cheat code is Idle Hand’s pizza dough.
- ICYMI RVA Restaurant Openings Edition. Now Open: Beijing On Grove, Farmers Market Restaurant and Bar in Petersburg and Saadia’s Juicebox in Jackson Ward. Coming soon: Black Market Dining in the Fan and a yet to be named brewery/restaurant/arcade in Scott’s Addition.
- I love Little House Green Grocery’s meal kits, and this Valentine’s Day they’re offering three lovely dinner boxes. Options include a steak dinner, mushroom risotto and chicken saltimbocca. Boxes are priced between $33 – 39. Pre-order your meal kit here.
- If this is wrong, I don’t want to be right. Word on the street is Veil still has some of their Oreo infused beer on tap, but it won’t last long.
What to add to your calendar
- Looking for something to do this Valentine’s Day that doesn’t involve love? Get involved with RVAkitchenLOVE. The organization will be working with 10 youth that have aged out of the foster care system, teaching them about meal prep, food seasoning and grocery shopping.
- The Brunch Market is kicking off on February 12th in Scott’s Addition. The newly opened event space, Urban Roost, is located next to Lunch and Supper, and will be hosting pop-ups monthly. The kick off market will feature tons of gifts perfect for Valentine’s Day!
- Richmond’s latest food challenge: Boulevard Burger and Brew’s “The Legion” is ready for you RVA, but you might want to do some training first. This two pound, five patty burger must be eaten in just 20 minutes.
- The Wahoos and the Hokies are taking the court tonight in Charlottesville, and you can support your favorite team while also supporting a great cause by joining the annual Hokies vs. ‘Hoos Food Fight. The spirited food drive, presented by Kroger, started yesterday and will run through February 12.
- If you haven’t made Super Bowl plans, Steam Bell Beer Works will be showing the game on the big screen. There will be burgers, oysters, wings, football and of course beer!
New year (and new month) so we’re testing out a new way of sending out What’s Happenin’ Wednesday. If you’d like to receive this weekly roundup directly to your inbox, you can subscribe below. We promise we won’t send you anything spammy, we just had a few requests for an email version of this post and ask and you shall receive!
If you’ve already subscribed to our blog, we will no longer be sending out our What’s Happenin’ Wednesday posts through WordPress. So if you would like to continue to receive emails for What’s Happenin’ Wednesday, just enter your information below and we’ll be sure to keep you in the loop every Wednesday. If you are a subscriber, you will continue to get alerts via email when our other posts go live!
Confused or have questions? Shoot us an email email@example.com and we’ll help you figure it out!