What’s Happenin’ Wednesday
- It’s awards season for the restaurant community in Richmond, y’all. Two Richmond restaurateurs — Brittanny Anderson of Metzger Bar and Butchery and Evrim Dogu of Sub Rosa Bakery — have been named semifinalists in the James Beard Foundation Awards, culinary awards that recognize the best in the business from throughout the whole country. The sixth annual Elby Awards took place this past weekend at the Altria Theater, celebrating the restaurant community in the Richmond region. You can find out who the big winners of the night were over on the Richmond Magazine website.
- Travel + Leisure compiled a list of the best cheap eats in every state, and Virginia’s representation on the list came from right here in Richmond with a nod to the ham biscuit from Early Bird which rings in at only $4.95.
- Good news for folks who live or work in downtown Richmond — or really anyone that is a fan of delicious lunch on the cheap — Christopher’s Runaway Gourmay opens for the season on Monday, February 27th. Between that news and the crazy warm weather we’re experiencing, I’m starting to think that groundhog just might have been wrong.
- From BuzzFeed: a food test that will you help you determine what city you actually belong in.
- Heads up: You have a new place to be on Tuesday nights from 5-9 p.m. Postbellum is now offering Burger, Beer & Bourbon Tuesday’s where you can get a classic burger, a shot of bourbon and a 12 oz draft beer for $15.
- If you love a good inspirational story like I do, you’ll love this one from Inc. on how flamin’ hot Cheetos came to be. I know, I know, you never really thought you would see Cheetos and inspirational in the same sentence. Just trust me on this one.
What to add to your calendar
- Buskey Cider knows how to do it with the fun collaborations, don’t you agree? Last time it was sliders and ciders, this time it’s Girl Scout cookies and cider. It’s all happening tomorrow, Thursday, February 23 at 5 p.m. Details here.
- Nota Bene Restaurant & Bar is holding their monthly pizza club this Sunday, February 26th from 5-9 p.m., and you really don’t want to miss this one because it features the one and only Stephanie Ganz! If you go, you’ll be able to try her Hungarian mushroom soup inspired pizza and a signature cocktail.
- You guys! ZZQ is returning to Ardent Craft Ales on Saturday, March 4th at noon. Some ridiculously good Texas style barbecue awaits, in addition to the delicious beer that’s always present at Ardent.
- On March 16th from 6-9 p.m., Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms will speak to building a local food system that works. The evening will include food and drinks from several local chefs, and you can buy tickets here.
- Don’t forget, Richmond Brunch Weekend is coming up March 25 – 26, a weekend where you can enjoy brunch and raise money for Massey Cancer Center at the same time. You can keep up with the participating restaurants over on the event Facebook page.
Just a friendly reminder that we’re testing out a new way of sending out What’s Happenin’ Wednesday. If you’d like to receive this weekly roundup directly to your inbox, you can subscribe below. We promise we won’t send you anything spammy, we just had a few requests for an email version of this post and ask and you shall receive!
If you’ve already subscribed to our blog, we will no longer be sending out our What’s Happenin’ Wednesday posts through WordPress. So if you would like to continue to receive emails for What’s Happenin’ Wednesday, just enter your information below and we’ll be sure to keep you in the loop every Wednesday. If you are a subscriber, you will continue to get alerts via email when our other posts go live!
Confused or have questions? Shoot us an email email@example.com and we’ll help you figure it out!