Today is my Friday, YAY!
- Trapezium Brewing Company recently opened, and I am excited to plan a day of adventures in Petersburg. Check out Liz Thomson’s post (aka I Heart Vegetables) to learn more about what to expect at the brewery. They have beer and a wood-fired pizza oven, I mean what more could you need? This also gives me a great excuse to finally visit Buttermilk Bake Shop, a place I’ve been stalking on Instagram for the last two years.
- This week, Kinsfolk its debuting a new summer menu, and I’m dying to try the grilled flank steak with corn salad, grilled zucchini and smoked peach butter!
- Yesterday, we lost a legend with the passing of basketball coach, Pat Summitt. Her passion and commitment to her players both on and off the court was evident in the number of games she won (1098) and the number of players that graduated (all of them, seriously 100%). She was an incredible coach, and an even better person. If you only watch one video this week, make it this one.
- PSA: The Dog and Pig Show will be closing for summer vacation after service on July 2. Stock up on baked goods and be sure to grab something off the updated menu before they close down for one whole month!
- My current dream in life is to be a guest judge on Bravo’s Top Chef. I guess you could say I have a little bit of an obsession with food competition shows. Forty thousand people auditioned for MasterChef last year and only 20 were selected for the show. Learn more about the audition process for some of your favorite cooking competition shows in Bon Appetit’s article.
- Does anyone have $1500 to lend me? The giant donut used by Dixie Donuts in Carytown is for sale!
- Meg and I were lucky enough to attend one of the soft opening nights for Shagbark on Monday. Everything we tasted was incredible, my favorites were the pork chop, the vidalia onion bisque and the sweet potato ravioli.
What to add to your calendar
- This week is Style Weekly’s RVA Burger Week, meaning a bunch of local restaurants are serving up burgers for just $5 a piece through July 3. My favorite option is Savory Grain’s Savory Burger — Angus chuck, brisket & short rib; char-grilled with gouda cheese, smoked tomato aioli, baby arugula and tomato.
- Jewelry lovers, the Kendra Scott store in Short Pump is hosting a soft opening on Saturday and I am so sad that I’m going to miss it. I love so many of the store’s necklace and earring options and I can’t want to try on this necklace in person. YAY accessories!
- If you like wine or lobster rolls or both, Barrel Thief has an event that’s perfect for you on Thursday.
- It is a First Friday week and as always you can expect music, art and food. I suggest starting at Antler and Fin for cocktails, checking out the Art 180 exhibit and then heading over to Saison Market for dinner. Oh and fingers crossed that a zoning inspector will make it over to Stoplight Gelato so you can finish your night with some chocolate gelato!
- Fourth of July is quickly creeping up on us, can you believe it is almost July?! While there won’t be any fireworks on the James this year, you can watch fireworks at both Dogwood Dell and the Diamond on Monday.
Programming note: I’m heading off to the West Coast this week, if anyone has any San Francisco or Yosemite suggestions let me know in the comments! I’d love to hear them.