If you didn’t notice, we’re back in Richmond after a great New York trip (more on that to come later this week)! I’m slowly recovering from a hectic, food filled vacation and a weekend celebrating the marriage of one of my favorite couples. But never fear, What’s Happenin’ Wednesday must go on…
What’s Happenin’ Wednesday
- Robinson Street in the Fan is changing rapidly! Spoonbread Bistro opened last week in the former Jorge’s Cantina space and Secco Wine Bar’s new location looks ready to open any day now — and a sign posted on the door the restaurant will open on September 30! I can’t wait to see how they transformed the former Buddy’s space.
- On the other side of the coin, Sugar Shack’s original location is currently closed for renovations, hopefully they’ll reopen by the end of the week. In the meantime if you need your donut fix you can visit one of Sugar Shack’s other locations or visit one of our other favorite donut shops.
- Sunday was a sad day for sports fans, so in honor of the late Arnold Palmer, here’s the story behind the famous drink that shares his namesake.
- I’m 99% sure that no matter what I do, I will always end up picking the SLOWEST line at the grocery store. Every time I go to Whole Foods I feel like I spend more time in the check out line than I did actually shopping and it drives me insane. Well, apparently there’s a way to pick the right check out line, one hint: try a line on the left side of the store.
- It’s officially fall, so it might be time to ditch the watermelon salads for something a little more seasonal. Luckily, Bon Appetit has 20 pasta recipes perfect for fall. Sign me up for the orecchiette with squash, chiles, and hazelnuts.
- And speaking of delicious pasta, Stella’s just announced that they’ll be opening a second location in Charleston in 2017.
What to add to your calendar
- Guess what’s opening in Scott’s Addition this week?! That’s right, another brewery! Three Notch’d Brewing Company’s RVA Collab House officially opens on Saturday and is hosting a grand opening party from noon to 10 p.m.
- Celebrate the history of Richmond’s historic Jackson Ward neighborhood all weekend with the 2nd Street Festival. This free event includes two days of music, food vendors, a marketplace and a kidzone. About 40,000 people are expected to attend so get out there and join the fun!
- I mean, what could be better than coffee, pastries and puppies!? Tomorrow morning (Thursday) Ironclad Coffee Roasters is hosting LoveRVA Mornings: Love Pets with a little help from C&C’s Cinnamon Rolls and Idle Hands Bread Company. 100% of proceeds from the breakfast “event” will benefit the Richmond SPCA.
- Reminder! This Saturday, Libby Hill will be your go to spot for barbecue, beer and bands, because it’s Hogtober time. Get there early to snag a spot on the grass and get ready to enjoy some delicious food. This event is family friendly but dogs (and other pets) are not allowed so please plan accordingly.
- Rapp Session has started running hot dog specials every Monday during the MNF football game. And these aren’t just any dogs, so get them before they’re gone.